Sunday, June 26, 2011

Back in the Saddle

A good month has passed with little writing being done on my behalf. Certainly no blogging anyway. My youngest's eczema flared up really badly, which left us staying awake, or mostly awake, for weeks on end stopping him from scratching his legs to bloody ribbons in his sleep. Even so, I managed to reach a milestone that I had set for myself early in the journey of writing my novel for young readers. I made 20000 words a couple of weeks ago, and have been telling everyone I know about it- so I thought I'd better blog it for prosperity. It may be a Leo thing to have a bit of a brag, and sure, those 20000 words will probably change immensely before the book is ready to show anyone, but I think it is important to celebrate these things when they come along. You never know when the next one might be, if ever.
I also had a Eureka moment with Pearl the other night, realising just what it is I am trying to get across in the story. Besides being a rip-roaring action adventure full of fantastic settings and creatures, I want Pearl to discover something about herself and grow out of that discovery into something more than she was. I think I know how now, and no, I am not telling you here. You'll just have to wait and see like the rest of us.
I have also decided it is time to start building an audience base, which is where you come in. I will link this blog to Facebook and start updating it more regularly (I say this with the best intentions- but at times life will definitely get in the way so forgive me please).
With my beloved away for work this week I am going to try and do my 750 words a night. The little man is back at Preschool so I want to write as much as I can in the mornings too, while the grass is drying out. I have lots of mowing to do in the afternoons-lots!
Okay, better get to work.
Peace
Ian

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! Looking forward to the "I can bear to show this to anyone else" draft!

    ReplyDelete